Hi! Welcome to “Asking For A Friend”! I’m Bri, and I’ll be the advice girl you can always come to! Here’s to the first article! 🙂
So you’ve just been rejected by the person you like. You start to analyze every little thing you find “wrong” with yourself. You listen to sad music to make yourself sadder. Stop. Stop doing this. Like, seriously. Stop. Let me help.
Here’s a simple step-by-step list on How To Get Over Rejection.
- DO NOT try to blame yourself. Rejection is almost never personal.
- Don’t beg them to reconsider. The more times you hear “no”, the worse it’s going to hurt.
- Take some Tylenol. I know this sounds crazy, but rejection can be felt like physical pain. Tylenol will help.
- Let yourself be sad! It’s okay to be upset. I promise.
- Feel sorry for yourself, but only for a day or two. Then get your butt back up and stop pitying yourself.
- Do not listen to sad music to make yourself sadder. I know it’s tempting, but it’s not going to help anything at all.
- Talk to someone you trust. Allow them to see your vulnerability.
- Cry. Cry. Cry. Cry until you can’t anymore. It’ll make you feel better.
- Write about it if you don’t feel comfortable sharing every little detail with someone. Don’t hold back. Write down every single thing you’re feeling, even if it’s messy.
- Get back into a routine. Focus on this routine. It’ll make you feel less hectic and crazy.
- Do not tear your self esteem down by wondering what’s “wrong” with you. There is nothing wrong with you. Tell yourself that you are an amazing person and that you are so beautiful. It’s okay if you don’t mean it at first. You will eventually.
- Breathe. It’s okay. It’s not the end of the world. I know it feels like it is and I know it hurts so much. It’s okay. You’re okay. Just breathe in and out. It’ll get better soon, I promise.
- Remember that your emotions are 100% valid! No reaction is an overreaction!
And remember, somebody loves you!
I hope this helps even just a tiny bit 🙂